Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Storage Tip: Lush Pot Pourri

Certainly the idea of using Lush as a wardrobe perfume isn't very new, but here are my 2 cents on how you could do it. Basically, I decided to make a small string bag from some checkered fabric leftovers and red velvet ribbon I had laying around in the house. Then I popped my Lush 'Waving not drowning' bath bomb inside and buried it in my wardrobe for ylang-ylang smelling clothes. Simples!


The sewing project took me maybe 30 minutes and I was hand stitching it, so with a sewing machine it's probably a 10 minute job. First I just folded and stitched one end of the fabric to weave ribbon through later, folded the piece in half and stitched around 2 edges. Then I turned it inside out, weaved the ribbon into the fold using the old safety pin method (you attach a safety pin to one end of your lace/ribbon/string which makes it much easier to push through the fabric), worked on the little wholes at the ribbon's ends by folding the fabric inside and stitching around. Voila!


Here's the little baggy cosily wrapped up in my scarves. From now on they'll be smelling divine! The bag would also be handy for soaps or bubble bars, but I wouldn't recommend it for neither massage bars (too greasy) nor sugar scrubs (far too messy).


I'm planning on buying some more exciting fabrics and making more of those little bags. They''ll be great as unique reusable gift bags for b-days or Christmas. What do you think?

pot pourri - lit. 'rotten pot'. Originally meant "mixed meats served in a stew", the modern meaning of "mixture of dried flowers and spices" only appeared in the 18th century. The other meaning is that of "miscellaneous collection". From Online Etymology Dictionary.

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful idea! I've made a few little drawstring pouches for things - they always look adorable, and you're right - are lovely presents/wrapping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, sweetie! I'm on a hunt for pretty fabrics! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh wow this is a new idea to me! I am a bit slow on the uptake, what a fantastic idea! And you are such a clever cookie, love the little bag- just adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, hun! Those little bags are really cute, aren't they? I think I have to make some more for different purposes! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I loved your idea, simple and lovely, plus, there is nothing better than you open your wardrobe and feel the wonderful smell:)
    I am following you :) XOXO from Brazil.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi sweetie, thank you so much for your lovely comment and following! Oh yes, nothing better than a LUSH smell when you open your wardrobe :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats so cute, and a really good way of using up fabric scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, hunni - it really is, you could use up even the tiniest scraps for this! xxx

    ReplyDelete