Thursday, July 12, 2012

Sun Protection Must-Haves

Even our forever-rainy Pacific Northwest has been blessed by some much needed sunshine the past couple of days, which prompted this little 'essentials' post about my sun protection must-haves. Being very fair and cool-complected, I don't tolerate sun very well; I get burnt very easily and at the best of times, my unprotected skin just gets lots of freckles and hyperpigmentaton, on top of which some of my medications don't allow for me to go out in the sun (check if yours might make you photosensitive as well!). Thus, products with a good SPF (Sun Protection Factor) are my absolute best friends.
Let's start with products than can be used on both face and body; although I mostly use them on my face, I still haven't found a satisfactory SPF for the body (I'm trying to use up the Badger's one reviewed here). Every day before I put on my make-up, I apply a good layer of Devita's Solar Protective Moisturizer with Hylaruonic Acid SPF 30+ ($12.99 from VitaCost for 2.5 fl oz), a zinc oxide based sunscreen. Let me tell you, this is the best SPF for the face I have tried so far and a very strong HG material. The texture is nothing like your typical SPF; it's a light gel that spreads easily, leaving your face smooth, matte and with absolutely no residue. It's also hydrating enough for my oily skin so that I don't have to use an additional moisturizer (love me some Hyaluronic Acid!). I just can't recommend this one enough!

To top up during the day or just to set my make-up, in case I'm not using a mineral foundation, I like to use the Peter Thomas Roth Instant Mineral SPF 30 for Oily Problem Skin ($30 for 0.15 oz). It's just a titanium dioxide and zinc oxide translucent powder with some salicylic acid to help fight imperfections in a handy packaging with a brush for applications on the go. I think that having the option of reapplying your sunscreen throughout the day without having to disturb your make-up is simply indispensable, and this one works pretty well; although the packaging doesn't feel as sturdy as I would like for keeping in your purse.
Lastly, I use the California Baby SPF 30+ Sunblock Stick ($14.99 for 0.5 fl oz), a titanium dioxide based sunscreen, as my 'emergency' sunscreen for my purse as well as a 'blocker' for my moles and hyperpigmentation areas. You know how you sometimes realize once you get outside that you've missed some exposed area - like the tops of your feet, shoulders, ears? That's why I like keeping this small stick on me at all times. This one feels quite sticky and leaves a bit of a white residue, but it does block UV rays very well; a white patch on my shoulder blade where I have a small mole is a witness to that!
Ingredients list for Devita Solar Protective Moisturizer and Clarins Sunscreen for Eyes
For more targeted sunscreen, I enjoy using my Clarins SPF 30 Sunscreen for Eyes Wrinkle Control Cream ($28 for 0.7 fl oz) under my eyes every morning. It's a titanium dioxide based eye cream that goes on without leaving a white cast. I purchased this one after I've noticed a lot of freckles under my eyes and along the tops of my cheekbones - while I don't really mind the freckles themselves, I'd like to stay protected from the sun damage. It layers very well under concealer but when I feel my eye area is especially dry, I like to apply another more moisturizing eye cream beforehand.
Lastly, to protect my lips from the sun, I always reach for my Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm SPF 25 ($7.50 for 0.25 oz). On top of being one of the best lip balms I've ever tried, it shields your lips with a chemical sunscreen (Octinoxate and Avobenzone). While I definitely prefer mineral over chemical sunscreen, as you might have observed (it's been proven as more effective and safe in protecting against for UVA and UVB rays in clinical studies), so far I haven't found anything better that doesn't irritate my lips (Softlips!) or break me out (Nivea!).
That's it! While I'll definitely keep on trying new products with SPF, I feel that this little group would continue to be a great fall-back for me every summer and something that I can honestly recommend to you. What are your favorite sunscreens? Any tips on how to stay protected?

12 comments:

  1. FANTASTIC post! I'm also quite fair skinned and have to use a significant amount of sun protection products when going out for extended periods of time. I recently discovered a clear zinc oxide that's meant for the face which I fell in LOVE with because it served as a great base for my make-up. I also did a post on my favourite sun protection products (as well as sun relief products since I got EXTREMELY burnt on my first day on a trip to Hawaii). Check it out here: http://slightly0bsessed.blogspot.ca/2012/06/collection-fun-in-sun-for-your-skin.html :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to check your post out, thanks for letting me know! :)

      Delete
  2. The Devita sunscreen sounds really great, I might have to try it. Right now my favorite is 100% Pure Pomegranate Moisturizer with SPF 30, but it is a little bit greasy. It was a little too much when I lived in Texas, but since moving to Vancouver it isn't a problem. I bought the duo pack with the Argan SPF 20 version from the 100% Pure website, but I haven't tried the SPF 20 version yet (I didn't want it to spoil if I opened it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only tried their Tinted Moisturizer, but it was also quite greasy and oxidized on me like a mofo. After that, I'm not the biggest fan of their products!

      Delete
    2. Oh, that's too bad. I haven't really tried their makeup, but I like quite a lot of their skincare. I really like their Coffee Bean Eye Cream and their Purity Tonique (toner). The toner is gentle and alcohol-free, but it is really effective. Same thing with their Purity Spot Treatment; gentle but effective (though the pump dispenses a little too much so I use it as a "problem area" treatment more than a true spot treatment).

      Delete
  3. I absolutely adore your blog. The makeup is wonderful and I'll really love to try that out! suncreen is really important to prevent early aging - and I always bear that in mind!! I should look into Clarins and get that sunscreen! SPF 30 is good enough to be good on my sensitive skin.

    Following u now via Goggle +. Follow me back if you like! ♥
    Say meow to me on:
    Miss Kwong: From Catwalk to Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh I have never heard of that Devita one, but I must try it now! I am struggling so badly with my oily skin right now--and on top of that, stress has caused a MAJOR reaction on my face (irritation, redness, scaliness, extreme shin,breakouts,the whole nine yards :/) and can't seem to find a sunscreen that my face loves but doesn't make it greasy. I've also heard a lot about the Elta MD version, but the Devita one is much more affordable--so I'll go with that first :) I've also been curious about the PTR powder for touch-ups throughout the day, but can't seem to bring myself to buy it simply because I HATE the packaging (and the brush feels so rough/coarse/scratchy on the skin). Oh and LOVE Jack Black (who doesn't?!?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becca, do you read The Beauty Mouth blog? She has weekly clinics with skincare advice and gives wonderful tips regarding products and stuff - she might help you out too! True, I hate how the PTR brush feels on my skin, but haven't found anything better yet :/

      Delete
    2. No, but I will definitely check out the blog now--thanks so much for the recommendation! Since my last comment, my skin has surprisingly improved condition quickly. I think I just needed to relax and also get more sleep and drink more water.I also stopped using my prescription Epiduo just until my skin calmed down. I've been LOVING my Caudalie products though--they are so, so lovely on sensitive skin!

      Delete
  5. Ooh this is going into my bookmarks!
    The Devita's moisturizer and Clarins eye cream sound great. I'll remember it for next summer! It's not often you see a brand with SPF 30 or more in eye creams but it's definitely necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Devita sunscreen as well! I'm in the South East and the humidity and heat down here will drive me insane if I have on a regular greasy sunscreen on my face.

    I also use Merry Hempsters Vegan SPF 18 lip balm to protect my lips (available on Vitacost, as well). I love the orange scented one, and it is seriously the best lip balm I have ever used. It has improved the texture of my lips even when I'm not wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, thanks for letting me know, I'll try that one next time I place a Vitacost order! It sounds fabulous :)

      Delete