Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Beauty Product Empties: 1st Quarter of 2014

Switching to quarterly instead of bimontly empties posting schedule can only mean one thing... I have LOTS of finished products to show you! They didn't even all fit in the frame --->
I think this may be the biggest empties post I've done to date, and I believe two factors contributed to the amount of empty bottles: obviously, the longer timeframe, but also an accumulation of nearly finished products I had laying around that finally gave up the ghost. Due to the sheer number of products here, I'll only highlight the best and the worst for the sake of your sanity - and patience! Let's dig right in!
Skincare. Click through for my reviews of: REN ClearCalm3 Clarifying Clay Cleanser, Dermalogica Ultracalming Mist, Devita Solar Protection Moisturizer SPF 30, Nuxe Reve de Miel Nourishing Lip Balm, Murad Rapid Age Spot Lightening Serum with 2% Hydroquinone.
Products I enjoyed and would repurchase: REN ClearCalm3 Cleanser, Devita Moisturizer SPF 30, Nuxe Reve de Miel (my HG lip balm), Murad Rapid Age Spot Lightening Serum, CeraVe PM Facial Lotion.

Hair and bodycare. Click through for the review of Deep Steep Bubble Bath and Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula Concentrated Cream.
Products I enjoyed and would repurchase: Deep Steep Bubble Bath, Palmer's Concentrated Cream, Pureology Volumizing Shampoo & Conditioner (so far, my favorite volumizing haircare duo!), Enjoy Hydrating Conditioner.
Products I disliked: The Fortune Cookie Soap Body Butters (I've tried a couple different scents - wasn't fan of the fragrances and the butters rolled and felt sticky on the skin), L'Occitane Pate Amande Body Scrub (reminded me of the St Ives Apricot Scrub but for the body), Big Sexy Hair Volumizing Dry Shampoo (weird lingering scent + felt very heavy and dirty in my hair... but did volumize!), Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful! shower gel (awful, plasticky, synthethic vanilla scent + drying formula), Dove Go Fresh antiperspirant (balled up on the skin, staining shirts and extremely difficult to wash off... any recommendations, ladies?)
Make-up. Click through for reviews of the Physicians Formula Healthy Wear Powder SPF50 and a very old mention of Prestige Total Intensity Eyeliners.
Products I enjoyed but wouldn't repurchase: Guerlain Cils d'Enfer Maxi Lash Mascara (so expensive!), Rimmel Match Perfection Concealer (overall, disliked the squeezy brush applicator and started to look too dry towards the end of my tube), Prestige Powerful Purple eyeliner (applied beautifully when new, after a couple months started to dry out and flake off the eyes), ybf Universal Eyebrow Pencil.
Products I disliked: cheap Coastal Scents Flat Foundation Brush (tried to glue the handle back in numerous times and it always falls off, low quality of bristles), Physicians Formula Healthy Wear Powder SPF50 (discontinued, very low coverage, quite dry on the skin, doesn't exactly provide a high level of sun protection despite its claims).
Perfume samples. No reviews here and no absolute must-haves that I'll purchase any time soon, with the exception of Prada Candy Eau de Parfum that I've had for about two years now - the sample came in handy when traveling. I did enjoy Jo Malone Orange Blossom Cologne for a fresh, citrusy, feminine soliflore, felt quite meh about Diptyque Volutes, Thierry Mugler Alien EDP (much prefer Angel) and Haus of Gloi Troika perfume oil (nice bath product scent but wouldn't wear it all day), and absolutely hated Marc Jacobs Daisy Eau So Fresh EDT.

You know, I'm quite proud of myself - but also can't believe how much space all of these were taking in various drawers and cupboards! Even though it feels great to let go of these products, I still have so many backups to use up that I can't even contemplate purchasing anything new at the moment - well, except for the dry shampoo.

How have you been doing on the empties front? Also, let me know if you have any more questions about any of the products you saw here, I'd be happy to help!

10 comments:

  1. Hi Monika,

    Congrats on such a generous pile of empties! I'm so slow to use anything up... it would take me a year to amass such a collection :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Switching from bi-monthly to once a quarter - that is still a very impressive amount of empties!! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yowza! You should be proud of yourself, indeed! I enjoyed the REN cleanser too. Deodorant: I wear LaVanilla Natural deodorant -- not antiprespirant, though, but good enough for my stinky 'pits during colder months. They came in smaller size from Sephora so you can easily try those if you like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. REN has some good stuff - I just wish it was a bit less expensive! I've tried LaVanilla and hated it - it stayed a bit tacky in my pits and didn't de-stink, which I know is not really what natural deodorants are supposed to do, but it almost seemed like it made things worse. But thank you for the rec, Claire!

      Delete
  4. WOW, Monika-- you did a very impressive job with your empties this month! You utterly put me to shame-LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sooo many empties! I used to like the Rimmel Concealer but I think they changed something because my last tube doesn't seem to cover as well. Nuxe RĂªve de Miel is on my rebuy list, I still have enough for about 2 weeks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make me so proud. :) I totally lost steam with the empties during the last post but got a huge rush when I finished up several big items all at once. Seeing all these empties here makes me so excited to finish up more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!!! You def have tried great products as I can see in your empties here. No wonder why you have loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ahhhh good job! I can't believe how much you finished. I think like... it would take me 6 months lol

    ReplyDelete