Friday, May 22, 2015

Summer Sheers: Lancôme Shine Lover Lipstick in 323 Effortless Pink

So far, I've been really picky this year about my new lipstick acquisitions. Maybe it's the realization how long it takes to use up a lip product after rotating through the same couple of options in my Project Make A Dent, maybe I just haven't really been blown away by any of the new releases... Either way, I knew that I wanted a new sheer lipstick for the summer. The combination of a bright shade in a more translucent formula has been my go to in the warmer months for the past couple of years, so when Lancôme released their new range of sheer lipsticks, after much hesitation, I decided to pick up one: the Shine Lover Vibrant Shine Lipstick 8H Moisture in 323 Effortless Pink ($25 for 0.1 oz).
Let me just say that I really appreciate how Lancôme decided to keep their hydration claims on the reasonable side with 'just' 8 hours of moisture. After foundations claiming to last anywhere from 16 to 20 something hours, I like that they aren't joining the game of the most ridiculous claim around. The Shine Lover lipsticks come in a pretty silver outer box with the shade NAME of the lipstick, however, the bottom label on the lipstick tube only lists the shade NUMBER. I guess it's not a big deal for most people, but I'd prefer to have the shade name of the sticker as well.

Speaking of the lipstick tube, I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the box. From looking at photos and promo images online, I expected the white tube to made out of a flimsy lightweight plastic, but it's actually a lot heavier and sturdier in my hand, and the white has a pretty opalescent finish. I also like the minimal design with silver stripes and Lancôme's rose on top of the cap.
Effortless Pink no. 323 is a sheer cool-toned hot pink shade in a lightly glossy finish, no shimmer. In the tube, it looks scary bright, but applies very, very sheer on the lips with one swipe; the intensity can be easily built up though. In that, it reminds me most of the discontinued Giorgio Armani Rouge d'Armani Sheers, but maybe a hair more pigmented and less glossy. Among my collection of other bright pinks, it's the most similar to Fresh Sugar Tinted Lip Treatment in Tulip, but even more vibrant. The Shu Uemura Rouge Unlimited Supreme Shine PK331 is warmer and contains micro shimmer particles.
While the shade itself is nothing terribly unique, I do find the Shine Lover formula to be quite unlike other sheer lipsticks/ tinted balms in my collection. It's incredibly smooth and lightweight on the lips; so much so that I actually forgot I was wearing it, and started devouring a watermelon slice without removing it first, which could have ended pretty Joker-like with any other lipstick - but since the Shine Lover formula is so thin, it didn't really migrate from my lips at all. It does seem to stay put quite nicely, and when the subtle shine wears off, Effortless Pink leaves behind a bit of a stain; I still had on a pretty pink flush after dinner.

L-R: 1 swipe of Lancome Shine Lover in Effortless Pink, 5-7 swipes of Effortless Pink, Guerlain Rouge Automatique in Shalimar, Fresh Sugar in Tulip, Shu Uemura PK 331
One thing that may be a bit of a let down for some is that the Shine Lover finish is in fact not very shiny at all. It has comparable shine/ gloss level to a standard creamy lipstick; to give you some examples for reference, the Shu Uemura Rouge Unlimited Shine and the Fresh Sugar tinted balms are both more glossy on the lips. I personally don't mind - from browsing online swatches, I expected a lower level of shine - and I think that's also the reason why the Shine Lover stays better on the lips than other sheer formulas.
The scent on these is a very delicate fruity floral; I can only smell it a little in the tube and the fragrance doesn't linger whatsoever. As for the '8H Moisture' claim, I can't wear any lipstick for that without touching up, but I will say it's certainly not drying, which is already a huge accomplishment on my flaky lips. When applied, it also doesn't catch on dry patches, and while it doesn't plump up all the fine lines, it doesn't gather in them either, making the overall appearance of my lips more smooth and healthy.

I'm really happy I decided to try out this new lipstick from Lancôme; so far, I'm pretty impressed with it, and it's one of my new favorite lip product formulas. Even though the shade is so cheerily bright in the tube, it looks very naturally pretty on the lips; truly, an 'Effortless Pink' color. Have you tried these Shine Lover lipsticks already? What is your favorite sheer lipstick formula?

9 comments:

  1. Hey Monika, thanks for the review! You picked a perfect shade that's so pretty on your complexion! I have swatched these and I was by how glossy the finish is, yet some of them manage to leave a stain on the back of my hand! I am curious fo sure, but I haven't purchased one so far because the packaging doesn't speak to me... I feel that Lanome packaging almost always misses the mark. It could look better or just more luxe for the price tag! My favorite sheer lipstick probably remains Guerlain Rouge Automqtique, even tho it's not all that sheer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel you on the number/names- I have to keep the Lancome Lip Lovers in the boxes cos I NEED NAMES. A few look similar in the tube so I need names to differentiate! I really like Mac Lustres and Laura Mercier Sheer Lip Colours, would recommend both. These look v nice! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look amazing on you. You have picked the right shade for you. But I guess i would pass on these eventhough they have lovely colors. I prefer long lasting ones and not just a bit of stain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to try these! I wasn't sure about them because I did want something a little more translucent/jelly, but it's good to hear that they aren't drying!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a beautiful shade on you! These sound like the perfect light-weight summer lipstick for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Monika, Lancome doesn't usually move me much but boy, this lipstick looks so gorgeous on you! Pinks like this make me look weird, but against your complexion, it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been a while since I've indulged in anything from Lancôme but I just received a Lip Lover gloss from them which I am very excited to try as I've looked at them on the shelf many times. I don't understand why they choose to put only numbers on the bottom of the actual product, it drives me crazy and I love having that connection with a name. This colour is lovely on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this on you! I caved and got one in an obnoxiously loud pink. (I forget the name and number, lol.) It felt nice on while I was testing and the white tube just looks so clean and streamlined for the summer. Not sure anymore if I'm talking about a bathing suit or a lipstick but you know what I mean!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, you've totally sold me on these! I have maybe 2-3 sheer lipsticks but I'd like to pick up another for the summer season, and these are the forerunners for me. This shade looks fantastic on you!

    ReplyDelete