Thursday, December 24, 2015

Project Make A Dent 2015 and Project 10 Pan Finale

Merry Christmas Eve, everyone! It may just be too much excitement, but on top of one more sleep til' Christmas, today I'm sharing the finale of my Project Make A Dent 2015, started twelve months ago, and Project 10 Pan 2015, which I started in July (click for intro). Are you ready to see some make-up empties?

You might be thinking that I got beyond bored with all my products after working on them for such a long time and was more than ready to move on to something else. And on one hand, that's true; I have definitely been neglecting most of my make-up stash, and I'm happy to go back to some things I haven't played with in a while. But on the other hand, I got weirdly attached to the products I've been panning, and as I was setting them aside to be recycled, I almost felt a little sad. As you'll see in a moment, not all of my products are completely used up - but since all of them are quite old by now, I promised myself I'll be tossing them by the end of the year. Having them all lined up to go in the trash almost made me go back on that promise, although it really is time to say goodbye!
Progress of Project MAD at the third update, 9 months in.
Let's start with my Project Make A Dent. As you may remember, the goal of this challenge is not necessarily to use everything up to the last smithereen, but rather to put a good dent in your products. Well, I certainly did that! If you'd like to see what my chosen items looked like in January, click here. In this post, I wanted to show you how much progress I made in the past three months, so I'm comparing with the photo from the end of September.
Project MAD Finale, 12 months in.
A little reminder: the products I have finished at the second update in June (click!) were Urban Decay 24/7 Eyeliner in Rockstar, Make Up For Ever HD Powder mini, Michael Todd Creme Glace lipgloss in Natural, Revlon Superlustrous Lipgloss in Coral Reef and Face Atelier Ultra Foundation in Porcelain. By the end of September, I have not used up any new items. As of now, I have one more product that's completely gone: the Chanel Rouge Coco Shine in Monte Carlo. The four remaining items that are not used up all the way are the Maybelline Color Tattoo in Bad to the Bronze, Stila Convertible Color in Lillium, Sephora Nano Eyeliner in Nuage, and Inglot Gel Lipstick no. 58. All of them show quite a bit of progress and I've been using them nearly every time I wore make-up, with the exception of that Nano eyeliner, which was so bad I kinda gave up on it shortly after the third update.
Products at the halfway update, 3 months into the Project.
As for my Project 10 Pan I started 6 months ago, I have some nice progress to report as well. At my halfway update in September (click!), I have finished two items: Buxom Full-On Lip Shine in Dolly and the Revlon Lip Butter in Peach Parfait. Since then, I have used up four more products: Estee Lauder Double Wear Light Foundation in Intensity 1, both of my Orly mini polishes in Gumdrop and Rage (the bottles are not completely empty, but the polishes are too thick to use now), and Pixi Endless Silky Eye Pen in Copper Glow (I can't sharpen it anymore). I have also hit major pan on the MAC Pressed Blot Powder, and used up quite a bit of Covergirl Jumbo Gloss Balm in Watermelon Twist and Revlon Colorstay Foundation for Combination/ Oily Skin; my marks were a bit off on that one when I started so there's been more progress than what you see from my sharpie lines. The one product that I didn't get to use a whole lot was the Elf Mineral Lipstick in Rosy Raisin, which broke off at the base of the bullet and couldn't be salvaged - so while it's not gone, it needs to be thrown out anyway.
Project Finale, 6 months in.
Overall, I'm really happy with my results. 6 finished products out of 10 in Project MAD, and 6 out of 10 in P10P. Like I mentioned above, all of the products I've been working on this year are exiting my stash, no matter if they're entirely used up or have a bit left, because I feel that they're too old now to stay - with the exception of my MAC Blot Powder, which is quite old but I can't detect any changes in color, texture or scent from when I first purchased it. To sum up, that's 19 majorly used products on their way out; that's a lot!
Final progress on my liquid products marked with a sharpie.
I've really enjoyed panning this year and I'm very satisified with my small achievement. Looking at my progress, some of you may think I wasn't really committed to my products, and maybe if I really stuck to using them day in and day out, more would be finished by now. That's not really true though; I've used these products about 98% of the time I wore make-up (which is not daily, by the way). Take that Stila cream blush, for example - it's a mini that had a tiny bit of pan showing to begin with, and at the end of twelve months of use, it's still a far way from being used up. But I have been using it ALL THE TIME - I think that just goes to show that I use very small amounts of products when I apply my make-up. So I do know that I gave my items as much attention as I possibly could, and I can't expect more from myself than that. How are your projects going, dear readers? Are they drawing to a close too, or continuing into the New Year? I already have a new Project planned for 2016, so stay tuned for my intro in just a few days...

5 comments:

  1. I found it very hard to neglect most of my make up stash. I came to the result that I need one product of each shade to be contented. I am also thinking about tossing some of my lipsticks, because I was not able to see these shades any more. If I were you I were not able to toss that beautiful blush...
    I have emptied about 50 products this year, tossed about 100 - But I have bought and received 150 so that my result is +/- 0. At least I have succeeded in turning my less loved products into nicer things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry X-Mas and a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas Monika!
    I think it's a real accomplishment, using up makeup :-) I focused on one base to use up this year, and I DID!!! It's my Diorskin Radiant Base, and I used it exclusively every time I wore makeup. It was gone after 8 months. WOOTS! I guess if I only used one base product, I do finish it. The thing is, I have (quite) a few bottles of foundation, and I don't wear makeup every day. LOL! I also used up a few liners, liquid and pencil, and a lipstick, and a few face powders. I think I'm quite happy with my efforts this year, even though I didn't officially put them on a particular project :-)
    I hope you're having a lovely Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi! I think you made excellent progress. Glad you kept the MAC blot powder though. Any kind of progress feels good, its unbelievably hard to pan any item. Happy holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've also been loving Stila Lilium lately--it seems to have the perfect blend of beige and pink for fair skin. Congrats on your awesome progress!

    ReplyDelete